Russian Porcelain Chess Set ca. 1950
A Russian porcelain set from the second half of the 20th century, made by the Gardner factory in Verbilki near Moscow. In 1766, the English entrepreneur Francis Gardner, with the permission of Catherine the Great, established the first great porcelain factory in the Russian empire, in the town of Verbilky.
A divided porcelain board bearing the "Gardner" mark underneath. The chessmen as soldiers, the king with a greyhound, the queen with two cats at her feet. The bishop as an officer with lap dog and cannon, the knight as a horse with goat, and the pawn as a soldier with sentry box and goose.
Excellent condition, in original box.